Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday Tunes: Otis Redding covered by St. Paul and The Broken Bones

Happy Tuesday! I haven't written much in a while but sometimes inspiration just starts to strike all at once. I was surfing the interwebs as I often do and found some pretty stellar Otis Redding covers. St. Paul and The Broken Bones are a soul group based out of Alabama and boy do they bring the soul. Rarely do I find Otis covers that I want to listen to as much as the originals, and these guys are at the top of the pile for me. They do enough to make the songs sound new, but truly retain the integrity of what the original songs are. Cheesy though it may be, they don't shy away from the passion that is so engrained in Redding's work, and that element is so vital to the success of these songs, and is a huge part of the reason I've had them on repeat for the past two days.

Starting off with a bang, here's their fast, roaring version of Try a Little Tenderness:


And ending with an equal bang, here's their utterly passionate version of I've Been Loving You Too Long that brought me to tears and Paul to his knees:



If you want to hear more of St. Paul and the Broken Bones (and you really should) click through to Spotify here! Have any favorite covers?

No comments:

Post a Comment