Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Movie Monday: Zachary Quinto's Eyebrows

Star Trek Into Darkness

Opening Friday, May 17th
Directed by: J.J. Abrams
87% on Rotten Tomatoes

First I need to establish that I am definitely not a Trekkie. All I know about Star Trek, I learned with Abrams' first foray into the franchise and I loved it. Similar to the first Iron Man, it was snappy, fast, and made its own rules. This second looks a little darker, and remains as mysterious as most of Abrams projects do. I hope, again, like Iron Man, that it retains the humor and quick-wittedness that made the first so memorable.

Update:
This was an intense, funny journey with as much character development and wit as there was fighting and explosions... which is to say, plenty! Despite the twists and turns and deviations in intent from our villain, it was so much fun to watch and I just wanted it to keep going so I could explore every character even further. It's not too often that you get that from a summer action flick.

The English Teacher

Opening Friday, May 17th
Directed by: Craig Zisk
42% on Rotten Tomatoes

What is a summer without some indies? With the stellar cast and a quirky premise, this caught my eye. Julianne Moore plays an english teacher of a former student who returns after failing at playwriting in New York. That combined with the comedic chops of the cast should provide laughs and awkwardness aplenty.



Also playing: Frances Ha (93%), Erased (26%), Black Rock (44%)

Coming next week: Before Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment