Monday, July 1, 2013

Summer Movie Monday: Minions, Tonto, and an Average Looking Teenager

Despicable Me 2
Opening Wednesday, July 3rd
Directed by: Pierre Coffin & Chris Renaud
Starring: Steve CarellKristen WiigBenjamin BrattMiranda CosgroveRussell BrandKen JeongSteve CooganElsie Kate FisherDana GaierMoises AriasNasim PedradKristen Schaal
75% on Rotten Tomatoes

The first one was so damn cute and funny that I can't help the little ball of nervous excitement that's been growing. Like any sequel, though, it could be in danger of repeating itself or just falling flat. As amazing and perfect as the minions are, if there's too much focus on them, it might not be enough movie for audiences. The first movie had a really perfect amount.

The Lone Ranger and The Way, Way Back after the jump!


The Lone Ranger
Opening Friday, July 5th
Directed by: Gore Verbinski
Starring: Johnny Depp, Armie Hammer, Helena Bonham Carter, Barry Pepper, William Fichtner, James Badge Dale, James Frain, Ruth Wilson, W. Earl Brown, Tom Wilkinson, Matt O'Leary, Mason Cook, Harry Treadaway, Timothy V. Murphy
27% on Rotten Tomatoes

Out of the three movies I'm featuring this week, this is the one I'm anticipating the least. It seems like it's taken so long to get here that I heard about so much when they were making it and didn't even realize it was coming out until I saw it on the calendar (yes. I have a movie calendar. no judgement please.). It could be cool, and I do enjoy Armie Hammer, but Depp has seemed more like a box office draw than an artist as of late so I don't know how worth it this will be.


The Way, Way Back
Opening Friday, July 5th
Directed by: Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
Starring: Steve Carell, Anna Sophia Robb, Amanda Peet, Sam Rockwell, Rob Corddry, Toni Collette, Allison Janney, Liam James, Maya Rudolph, Robert Capron, Jim Rash, Nat Faxon, Ava Deluca-Verley, Zoe Levin
82% on Rotten Tomatoes

HERE is the real draw of the week! If you didn't read this far down, I feel a bit sad for you. The Way, Way Back is coming to you from Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, two of the writers of one of my all-time favorite movies, The Descendants. This is promising to be the summer vacation movie and I hope they deliver. About a boy who's not the cutest and isn't allowed to forget it, and the guys who make summer fun for him, this movie should prove to be hilarious and honest, a little piece of ourselves that we don't always want to remember... at least, that's what I hope it is.
Update:
I knew I would like this movie heading into the theater, but I had no idea how much. Sam Rockwell is a superstar and his character and choices are all brilliant. The rest of the cast is perfect too, filling out their parts marvelously. You have met each and every one of them at some point in your life. This movie also takes place on Cape Cod, where I have spent many a summer and you can practically smell the salt in the air while watching the movie. Bonus: Water Wizz actually exists. Go see this and love it. Go back to your childhood and embrace the painfully embarrassing and equally funny moments of awkward adolescence.

What movie are you most excited for this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment