Friday, August 23, 2013

SYTYCD Top 8

Photo via Fox
Opening choreography by Mia Michaels.




Image via Fox
Aaron started out so strong in Chelsie's classic, speedy jive that never seemed to stop. I loved her choreography! She took it back to old school jive which was nice after seeing so many with sub-par modern songs. As always, Aaron had amazing presence and was completely in it throughout the whole routine, but I think he needed better retractions towards the end, and there were a few connections missing. It's a tricky style because it's ridiculously fast with quite specific technique that needs to be very sharp and very clean. Aaron is one of my favorites (who am I kidding, they're all favorites) so it'll be interesting to see if he sticks around after this coming week going into the finale.


Image via Fox
This routine was so representative of what we have come to know and love in Allison as a dancer and artist. It had a beautiful concept - inspired by her own life - about discrimination and people who are still in the dark when there are others who live their lives with love. It was simple in the best way possible - it wasn't an overblown concept and the choreography portrayed it perfectly. Fik-Shun really brought himself to the dance and performed it beautifully - managing, amazingly, to keep up with her every step of the way.


Image via Fox
This wasn't my favorite choreography of the evening, but it sure did what it was supposed to! Little sparkplug that she is, Courtney choreographed a sharp, fast, technically difficult classic jazz piece with a Romeo & Juliet twist. What really made all of this sail though was the combination of their stories. Tucker spoke of his father being an inspiration to him for always supporting him and Courtney revealed her battle with multiple sclerosis. I had no idea that was going on with her at all, and seeing her dance with all of the passion that we're used to from her made it so gratifying - she's a fighter. Unfortunately, Tucker went home this week. He's a superb dancer and I think it was his time, but I'm sad to see him go.


Image via Fox
I fully expected this to be a disaster and I was blown away. Paul is a force to be reckoned with. He looked every bit as home with Comfort's amazing and lighthearted choreography as he does doing every other style thrown at him. He got right into the groove, and even stole some attention, which I didn't expect him to, considering Comfort is both a mindblowing hip hop dancer, and a great performer. It was just so much fun to watch and I'm looking forward to Paul for a couple more weeks... I think he'll be sticking around.


Image via Fox
This sultry number was great. Hayley is managing to deliver great routines week after week and also stand out with her all stars. Her versatility is calling to mind Kathryn McCormick, who never put a foot wrong and excelled where others faltered, like in ballroom and hip hop numbers. I loved the concept, the costuming, and, of course, Dmitry. Oh Dmitry, why don't you dance on the show more often? Remember how often you didn't wear a shirt when you competed? We could use more of that.


Image via Fox
THIS WAS INSANE! What a routine to go out on! Jenna has risen to the occasion all season. At the top of the show I was thinking about possible pairings and Jenna and Mark was not one that I thought would go well because he is so perfectly weird, and Jenna hasn't really been asked for that at all this season. I was in for a surprise. She and her braid devoured this routine. The costumes, the set, the braid, Mark! It was so wacky, so new and refreshing, and I didn't want it to stop. They killed it. I was sad to see her go, but I think it was her time. She was great though, is one of my favorite ballroom girls to ever compete on the show, and did many of my favorite routines this season... especially this one!


Image via Fox
They were one of my dream combinations this week. I was envisioning a really dramatic, emotional hip hop, but honestly, that couldn't hold a handle to the pure goofiness, hilarity, and brilliance that they pulled out. tWitch just went with his personality and kept it fun. Having a fair few depressing routines, it was nice to have some great, purely fun routines, all of which I loved. Jasmine just ate this routine for breakfast and the two of them had great chemistry together. You could just see that they were having an absolute ball with this dance and I would love to just see them dance routine after routine together.


Image via Fox
This was a routine that I was waiting with baited breath for all evening and it was beautiful. It was soupy and heavy. The partnering was effortless and it finally gave Amy a chance to show her true chops which she's had all along, but with all the cute and fun routines, hasn't had to employ. I know Travis' choreography can be a little overdone and repetitive, sometimes verging on monotonous if you watch too many of his routines in a row, but this was gorgeous, and I guess I'm just a sucker for his routines. They have a lovely ebb and flow and their pacing is usually perfectly matched for the music so it takes you on a journey. This was no difference, and I'm rooting for Amy to take it all.




What do you think? Who's your favorite of the pack this year? Did the judges make the right call? How hard do you want to punch Nigel for just being Nigel?

No comments:

Post a Comment